Recipe: Cheesy Stars
Even the most seasoned partygoer can get tired of sausage rolls, fed up of vol au vents and cheesed off with cheese straws, so why not wow your guests this festive season with these peppery watercress and Cheddar canapes?
1 x 320g packet ready-rolled puff pastry, thawed if frozen
80g grated Cheddar cheese
40g ready prepared watercress, finely chopped
Flour, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4.
2. Unroll the pastry and sprinkle most of the cheese over one half as well as most of the watercress. Fold the bare side of the pastry over the cheesy half and press down around the edges to seal in the cheese and watercress.
3. Lightly flour the work surface and place the pastry on top. Roll out the pastry to about double the size and then sprinkle the rolled-out pastry with the rest of the cheese and chopped watercress, spreading as evenly as possible. Try to keep a little bit of cheese and watercress back so that you can re-roll any trim once the stars have been cut out.
4. Line 2 baking sheets with greaseproof paper, then take a star shaped cookie cutter and cut the pastry into as many stars as possible. You could use any shaped cutter you like for this! Once you have cut out as many shapes as you can, squash the leftover pastry into a ball and then roll out again, sprinkling with a little more cheese and watercress and cutting out the remaining stars.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden on top. Once removed from the oven the stars can be served immediately or kept in an air tight container for up to 3 days.
• For more seasonal recipe inspiration, visit watercress.co.uk