Recipe: Gingerbread with Ginger and Orange Drizzle
Prep time 25 minutes
Bake time 50 minutes
• 175g unsalted butter
• 175g light muscovado sugar
• 175g golden syrup
• 175g black treacle
• 175g self-raising white flour
• 175g self-raising wholemeal flour
• 50g crystallised ginger, chopped
• 4 tsp ginger cordial
• 1 large egg
• 300ml whole milk
For the drizzle
• 150g icing sugar
• ½ tsp orange extract
• 1 tbsp ginger cordial
• 40ml warm water
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C, 300°F, Gas 3 and line a 20cm square baking tin with baking parchment.
2. In a saucepan gently melt the butter, sugar, golden syrup and black treacle together, then set aside to cool slightly.
3. Sift the flours into a bowl and add the crystallised ginger. Pour in the melted butter/sugar mixture and stir until combined. Add the ginger cordial, eggs and milk and beat together.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and level with a spatula. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes until springy to the touch and a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool completely.
5. For the drizzle, sift the icing sugar into a bowl then add the orange extract and ginger cordial. Mix in enough of the water to make a pourable icing that’s not too runny. Pour this over the cooled cake. Leave for about 30 minutes for the icing to set then cut into squares and serve.
Our recipes come from a delicious selection by Belvoir Fruit Farms. For more inspiration for tempting tea time treats, visit www.belvoirfruitfarms.co.uk