Recipe: Rasberry & Rose Macarons
Prep time 1 hour 15 minutes
Bake time 15 minutes
• 200g icing sugar
• 100g ground almonds
• 120g egg white (about 3 large eggs)
• Pinch of salt
• 40g caster sugar
• ½ tsp Belvoir Raspberry & Rose Cordial
• ¼ tsp pink food colouring paste
For the buttercream
• 125g unsalted butter, softened
• 250g icing sugar
• 2 tsp Raspberry & Rose Cordial
1. Line 2 baking sheets with greaseproof paper and have a piping bag with round nozzle ready.
2. Place the icing sugar and almonds into a food processor and whizz for about 30 seconds until thoroughly mixed and transformed to a fine powder.
3. Tip the egg whites into a spotlessly clean, dry mixing bowl, add the salt and whisk until they just hold a stiff peak.
4. Continue to whisk and add the caster sugar a teaspoonful at a time, mixing well between each addition. The mixture will become thick and glossy.
5. Add the cordial and pink food colouring and mix until the colour is evenly blended.
6. Fold in the icing sugar and ground almonds using a metal spoon, until the mixture is thoroughly combined and smooth.
7. Fill the piping bag with the mix and pipe evenly- sized rounds about 5cm in diameter onto the lined baking sheets. Tap the bottom of the baking sheet sharply onto the work surface, just once, to get rid of any large air bubbles.
8. Leave the macarons for at least 30 minutes, up to 1 hour, so they set and form a dry shell. They should not be sticky or tacky when tested with your fingertip.
9. Preheat the oven to 170°C, 325°F, Gas 3. Bake the macarons one baking sheet at a time for 10-15 minutes until the tops are crisp and the bottoms dry. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the baking sheet.
10. To make the buttercream, beat the butter and icing sugar together until smooth and fluffy then add the cordial and mix until evenly distributed.
11. When cool, spread some buttercream onto half of the macaron shells then sandwich with the other half and leave for about 30 minutes before serving.
Our recipes come from a delicious selection by Belvoir Fruit Farms. For more inspiration for tempting tea time treats, visit www.belvoirfruitfarms.co.uk