Recipe: Semolina & Rasberry Cake
By Lisa Faulkner
Prep time 40 minutes
Bake time 20 minutes
For the cake
• 300ml sunflower oil
• 180g maple syrup
• 6 medium eggs
• 250g fine semolina
• 2 tsp baking powder
• Zest of 2 lemons
• 60ml Belvoir Raspberry & Lemon Cordial
For the filling
• 300ml double cream
• 250g raspberries
• Edible flowers to decorate
For the drizzle icing
• 75g icing sugar
• 2 tbsp Belvoir Raspberry & Lemon Cordial
• A squeeze of lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4 and grease and
base line 3 x 18cm loose-bottomed sandwich tins.
2. Either with an electric hand whisk or in a stand mixer, whisk together the sunflower oil, maple syrup and eggs until they are light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Stir in the other cake ingredients, divide between the cake tins and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
3. Warm the cordial in a saucepan. When the cakes come out of the oven, prick them all over with a skewer and spoon over the syrup and let it absorb. Leave the cakes to cool completely.
4. Mix the icing sugar with enough of the cordial until you have a thick drizzle icing. Set aside.
5. For the filling, lightly whip the cream until it is just holding its shape.
6. Put one of the cakes on a cake stand, spoon over half the cream and scatter with raspberries, top with a second sponge and spread the remaining cream over the top and scatter with more raspberries. Top with the final sponge.
7. Drizzle the icing all over the top sponge and decorate with edible flowers and a few more raspberries.
Our recipes come from a delicious selection by Belvoir Fruit Farms. For more inspiration for tempting tea time treats, visit www.belvoirfruitfarms.co.uk