INDEX's Top Tips For A Good Nights Sleep
Forget counting sheep, follow our tips for a good night’s sleep
Along with the physical changes which occur as we get older, changes to our sleep patterns are a part of the normal ageing process.
As we age, the sleep we do have becomes lighter and more fragmented.
Follow our 10 tips for a good night’s sleep…
1. Keep regular bed and waking times.
2. If you do wake in the night, or need to go to the loo, don’t check the time.
3. Reduce, or cut out, caffeine. Sensitivity to caffeine increases with age. Also cut down on your fluid intake towards the end of the day.
4. Breathing exercises can help counterbalance stress and tension which might be preventing you from dosing off/getting a good night’s sleep.
5. Ensure your bedroom is quiet, dark and not too hot – 16°C is ideal. As we age we are more easily woken and more sensitive to noise.
6. Put your devices away at bedtime. The inability to switch off from your mobile, tablet and laptop can seriously affect the quality of your sleep.
7. Take regular exercise and keep hydrated. Aim for a 30-minute, preferably brisk, walk at least three times a week. Walk outdoors – studies show that people who get adequate exposure to natural daylight sleep better.
8. Try to limit daytime naps to no more than 20 minutes.
9. Eat well and regularly – making sure you always have breakfast.
10. A warm relaxing bath can help soothe away the stresses of the day.